1978 TY 125 kickstart return spring

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Shady
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY125

1978 TY 125 kickstart return spring

Postby Shady » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:56 am

I have a new return spring to fit on my TY 125 and I'm having a bit of trouble. Is there a technique with this? It looks easy but isn't.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Re: 1978 TY 125 kickstart return spring

Postby pop » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:09 am

Have tried with the kickstarter on and pushed down to the foot peg? or the end bit of the spring is in the notch in the sleeve inside the spring

TerrY
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta 200
Club: WDTC

Re: 1978 TY 125 kickstart return spring

Postby TerrY » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:48 pm

TY175's have a known problem with the kick start mechanism - I assume the TY125 will be similar. Inside the mechanism is a shallow helical spline. This is notorious for slipping and the spring won't line up properly. Often it lets go when the engine kicks back and the lever slips off the foot. The lever flies back, the spline slips and part of the external kickstart punches through the side cover. Nearly every one I have seen has been welded, bogged up or cracked. Some people try to weld the 2 parts together or drill and pin them. But they must be in the original position before doing this. Otherwise the spring holder and the stop lug will be wrong and the correct spring tension can't be achieved. Another fix is to find a DT175 internal mechanism - it will fit with the addition or removal of a spacer. They seem to be more reliable but may be getting hard to find now. The internals may still be obtainable from Yamaha but at a price.
Once sorted, be very careful kick starting. Ensure you take up the play and kick gently. TY175's usually start easily. Don't let your foot slip off the lever and return it to the original position positively with your foot every time. Simple but you must do it every time - unless you want to go through this process many times.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”