TY250 twinshock clutch mod

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

TY250 twinshock clutch mod

Postby David Lahey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Thankyou to whoever it was a while ago suggested to run with only three springs in the TY250 twinshock clutch.
I had to do some work on a TY250D clutch today and decided to give the three spring thing a go and I love it. Very nice. Now even with a standard lever it has a feather-light clutch action, the way it engages is unchanged (in other words, great) and I couldn't get it to slip.

relax, nothing is under control

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Re: TY250 twinshock clutch mod

Postby trialsmutha » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:54 pm

hmmmmm might try this aswell.

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi David
Interesting I have installed an extension on the lever under the bike and also installed a mechanical lightening device on the cable. The clutch is light enough but I dont like the feel. How hard did you push the clutch with the springs removed. Did you do a steep hill climb??
Regards
Stan

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for reminding me Stanm. I meant to give some feedback after riding the frist trial with the three springs. I didn't have any problems when practicing at home but at the trial, yes it did slip a bit when I was hammering up a steep rough track at full throttle and hit a bump. In the sections (first gear) it was fine, but the little bit of slippage in the upper gears means I am going to try four springs next.

relax, nothing is under control

Ross Grimsey
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Bultaco

Postby Ross Grimsey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:53 pm

I dont understand ! Whats it matter how heavy the clutch is you only use it to start off.

Peter Paice
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Yamaha

Postby Peter Paice » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 pm

My exact sentiments Ross.
Twinshock bikes work better if you leave the clutch alone and let the bike flow through the section.

Ross Grimsey
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Bultaco

Postby Ross Grimsey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Peter, Dead right, i see so many people get themselves in trouble by ponsing around with the clutch instead of maintaining a smooth rythem and keeping your bodyweight centalised. As well you know Peter Paice (mister smooth and flowing ) The guy who won the australian title in 1978 rode all day with no clutch because of broken cable and he just started the bike pushed it and slipped into gear and kept going, it was no big deal any of the top riders of the day could have done it but i cant imagine it happening today even in a twin shock event

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Postby trialsmutha » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

its about having a lighter lever,not how many times you pull it in !

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Twinshock » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:14 am

I loved Ross's comment about guys getting themselves into trouble by "ponsing around with the clutch", I couldn't agree more. Some of the young guys would give it away if they had to ride in mud or wet conditions all the time and they "ponsed" around with the clutch, they'd fail every section.
Its a fact though that there is a new element of riders picking up modern bike habits while riding twinshock bikes, my greatest fear is that they will start balancing and hopping into the perfect position on them. Maybe we should start to introduce a rule that all twinshock bikes, including Classics, ride sections non stop, the way they were ridden in their prime.

Cheers
Twinshock

SQUAT 405
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: beta 13 factort 300
Club: S.Q.t.A.

Postby SQUAT 405 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi guys as i remember having one of these ty250bs there was nothing wrong with the clutch as it was, just let it out and away you go, let the bike flow no problem ,,,,,,,,,as soon as you started to fool around with it problems started ......the factory spent many hours testing all this stuff to make it right ,just one finger was all it needed to use the cluctch anyway as it was, so why would you need to change it??????more time spent riding it as it is and tme spent maintaining it as it should be will be far more value to your riding than time wasted fooling around with improving things you know nothing about,,,,just aview from the dark side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”