Which TY's 175/250 and Montesa 247/348's Have Compliance

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

symsy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Which TY's 175/250 and Montesa 247/348's Have Compliance

Postby symsy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi

A few questions bundled in this one.

Looking to rejoin the scene

Looking at Classic Twinshocks and was considering getting a bike that has the potential for road rego, not so much to use as a road vehicle just allows me to skip legally on the roads between proerties and saves me trailering near to home.

Can anyone tell me what Yamaha TY 175's or 250's were complianced here or where I can find out , is there a list here.

I also want to know what Montesa 247,348 etc were registerable here.

Sorry side question also as a Montesa would be the romantic choice and I am not so confident with my mechanics right now , anyone give me any real world input on reliability of a good restored bike, any years that are better than an other, in their vintage state are they repairable, parts available etc etc. Sorry broad question but other than that would consider going safe with what I had in younger years a TY.

Thanks In advance for any help

Steve

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Which TY's 175/250 and Montesa 247/348's Have Compliance

Postby David Lahey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:30 pm

The only TY twinshock that came with an ADR compliance plate is the TY175JC.
TY twinshocks and any other bike for that matter made before 1976 didn't have a compliance plate because they didn't start the ADR compliance thing till 1976.
I haven't seen a compliance plate on any competition-type Cota 247s or 348s. Maybe the Cotas after 1978 (349, 248, 242) had them. I know that at least some Cota trail models had compliance plates because there is a thread about it on this forum.
Bultaco Sherpa Ts from 1978 and maybe a bit earlier have ADR compliance plates.
As to which bike will be the best proposition for you, any bike that is kept in good condition will be reliable.
The reliability of twinshock bikes is generally terrific nowadays, because there has been 30 years of experience with them to iron out any bugs they came with new, not that there were many problems anyway.
Don't be afraid to get a Montesa or anything else for that matter. I would suggest though that if you want to minimise your ownership hassles, to buy a bike that is already being used successfully in competition. It can be expensive and time consuming to buy an incomplete bike and have to find missing parts, or to sort out problems with a bike that looks complete but has just been put together and not sorted out. You may have to pay quite a bit more for such a bike, but it is usually worthwhile. You could buy a complete looking twinshock that runs for around $1000 and easily end up having it cost you over $2000 before you have a bike that is ready to ride in competition. As a guide, most of the bikes I've done so far have ended up costing between $2500 and $3000 (purchase price and parts - not including labour) to get ready for competition.

relax, nothing is under control

symsy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: Which TY's 175/250 and Montesa 247/348's Have Compliance

Postby symsy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks thats great input..I will have to look through the forums here then and keep my eyes peeled on the net. I suppose I could also cruise around to some club evenets and see whats around..I will be in Byron Area so wil have to see whats on there

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”