Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

NonstopRoss
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TL250
Club: Waitemata

Re: Basket Cases

Postby NonstopRoss » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 am

Like the finished job. But in the half way shot, it looks like you painted white over black. Aren't you making it harder for yourself?

It all started with a KT250 that was so light that it once floated away during an ambitious river crossing.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:20 am

NonstopRoss wrote:Like the finished job. But in the half way shot, it looks like you painted white over black. Aren't you making it harder for yourself?

What might look like white over black is black over grey undercoat

paint sequence was:
grey undercoat
paint black where the pinstripe will go
mask pinstripe with narrow green masking tape and mask top of tank
paint orange
remove mask from top of tank (and take the photo)
mask off orange section
paint white
remove all masking
sand rough edges along pin stripe
fit graphics
paint clear

relax, nothing is under control

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: 1976 KT250
Club: Maryborough Riders

Postby Scorps » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Howdy Y'all,

Nice work David, I have 2 more KT tanks to get done, do you work on commission??? :D

What kind of paint are you using? I use acrylic lacquer for the undercoat, colour, and 1st clear coat. Remaining clear is iso-free 2-pack.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighbourhood KawiMan,
Scorps

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.
1981 Fantic 240 Professional
1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Yes same paint except for that fancy iso-free 2 pack clear. What are the benefits of that?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Scorps wrote:Howdy Y'all,

Nice work David, I have 2 more KT tanks to get done, do you work on commission??? :D

Cheers,
Your friendly neighbourhood KawiMan,
Scorps

I think it is very fortunate for my family's well-being that I have a good day job!

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Scorps » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Howdy Y'all,

David Lahey wrote:Yes same paint except for that fancy iso-free 2 pack clear. What are the benefits of that?

David, Acrylic can sometimes be affected by Petrol, something to do with the amount of time it takes to fully cure. I use the iso-free 2-pac for 3 reasons:
1. Its not carcinogenic like normal 2-pac.
2. It is actually compatible with Acrylic, so I can paint all the colours with rattle cans if need be.
3. Being 2-pac, it hardens due to chemical reaction, not solvent evaporation, and far more fuel resistant.

Hope that sums it up.

Cheers,
Your friendly Neighbourhood KawiMan,
Scorps

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.
1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

David, do you remember if the cap that shrunk was an "A" model cap? Both of the shrunk ones in the photo came off "A" models, must have checked a dozen caps tonight and all but one on my 'A' were the other type. Perhaps they realised the potential and changed the material for the "B" model onwards. BTW, it only takes a little prompting to get you on a roll, as Stu has obviously worked out!

Alastair, after reading your story, it must be heat that causes the shrinkage which seems to be the opposite for us blokes!

Bigal, the helicoil idea is good, but I have never seen one that big or a slinky that small.

Stu, will Team Yamaha be serving drinks around the fire at the TY Challenge?

Ross, David is demonstrating why they call it the TY Challenge.

Scorps, is there a clear in rattle cans that works well, 2-pac I assume is mixed in a spraygun?

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Scorps » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Howdy Y'all,

Greg Harding wrote:Scorps, is there a clear in rattle cans that works well, 2-pac I assume is mixed in a spraygun?

Normal acrylic clear is OK out of the can, but you need to really let it harden before you use it (like a month or 2) for best results.

Iso free 2-pac is spray gun only as far as I know.

Cheers,
Your friendly Neighbourhood KawiMan,
Scorps

1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Greg Harding wrote:Hi Everyone,

David, do you remember if the cap that shrunk was an "A" model cap? Both of the shrunk ones in the photo came off "A" models, must have checked a dozen caps tonight and all but one on my 'A' were the other type. Perhaps they realised the potential and changed the material for the "B" model onwards. BTW, it only takes a little prompting to get you on a roll, as Stu has obviously worked out!

I reckon they changed the material part way through B model production because the one of mine that shrunk/shrank was the original one from my TY175B, and the handmade replacement I already described was on a B model TY250.

Yes I do tend to get on a roll pretty easily on my favourite subjects - I also fall asleep pretty quick when the topic strays

NonstopRoss
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TL250
Club: Waitemata

Re: Basket Cases & 'Naturally Free'

Postby NonstopRoss » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:45 am

Thought I'd answer a question about how the TL basket case was coming along. Slow and heavy. Progress just like a TL is the truthful answer.
It is still a basket case! I haven't tried to start it yet. Not once. Next job is to sort out the sprockets. I have front and rear sprockets to come form TYTrials in the UK. These will be 12 and 60 teeth respectively which will give it lower than standard gearing more suitable to riding sections set out today rather than the longer more flowing non-stops of the '70s. However, at TYTrials, John's wife is unfortunately ill and this is taking priority over the business which is totally understandable (see someone else's separate topic elsewhere on this forum). I also have a sprocket spacer on order from the US, but that two man firm also has some email response-time process /workload issues with overseas orders. Anyway, this weekend I intend to review the wiring on the TL as a prelude to giving it the first kick over. Shorted wires, broken connectors, knots of street lighting wires etc that need cleaning up. You can imagine how frustrating it might be if it starts but I can't ride it anywhere -not even on my driveway - as it is sprocketless. So one step at a time. The bike has lasted 36 years so far. What's a few more weeks.

I was talking to my brother Craig Brown about Naturally Free last week and we had a good laugh. The Film was produced in '75. Watching it again, more than anything else, the music dates it. Still Kudos to Ken Anderson for shooting his own version of "On Any Sunday". Craig was saying that Dave Pinkerton's TY250 was so superior to his Sherpa T in tight trials terrain. Craig's Sherpa got used as a play bike and on trails rather than in observed trials. I can remember a few highly modified Honda XLs with Don Vesco tanks in Craig's stable at that time. Not to mention a metallic bronze Dune Buggy with a Corvair? motor dropped into it that could tow a bike trailer. The Sherpa was fitted with a bigger seat and spent a lot of time in quarry's and forests down on the South Coast. Craig won a wheelie comp at Amaroo park with the Sherpa T at one of those exhibition events in between the main road races. I also have a couple of Craven A posters of Craig on the Sherpa in a river crossing too. He, never smoked, but of course back in the late '70s it was more acceptable to 'sell out' than it is today. I've got a couple of helmet videos from him on his latest Gas Gas 300 XC/EXC? the enduro version that show that while the body may get older, old guys can still be fast and smooth.

It all started with a KT250 that was so light that it once floated away during an ambitious river crossing.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”