Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Basket Cases

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Ross with you being Craig's brother it sounds like you would be the perfect candidate for the re-enactment of Greg Harding's favourite wheelie scene from Naturally Free. You on your classy looking 325 and Greg on his TY250A. I'll volunteer to hold the video camera and jump out of the way at the last minute if anything goes wrong.

relax, nothing is under control

NonstopRoss
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TL250
Club: Waitemata

Postby NonstopRoss » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Craig Brown, Sherpa T, 1975.

A kind friend sent me a DVD of Naturally Free. I was really excited, slapped it in the machine only to find that the opening scene of Craig's Sherpa T bash plate going vertical bottom past the camera lens was missing from the start of the recording.

It all started with a KT250 that was so light that it once floated away during an ambitious river crossing.

NonstopRoss
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby NonstopRoss » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:50 am

That wheelie scene. Photos courtesy of 'Naturally Free' a Ken Anderson film.

And of course we'd never dream of riding without our fav white turtle-neck jumper. Oh, and where did I put my helmet and riding boots....?

It all started with a KT250 that was so light that it once floated away during an ambitious river crossing.

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases American Pickers

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Scorps, thanks for your advice, looks like 2 pac clear is the only option.

David, I have been through all of my caps and they all fit really well.

Ross, good to hear about your brother and Naturally Free, I bet he has some fond memories and good stories. Also can you tell me where you got the 12T 520 sprocket for a TL 250 as 13T is a little tall.

On 7 Mate on Wed at 9.30, there is a show called American Pickers which is a little like Collectors on the ABC. In the promo and at the beginning of the show, there is a bloke riding a TY 250. Does anyone know if I missed the episode which features the TY?

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:40 pm

The TY250 episode is number 1 and has been shown. Need to wait for the reruns.
Attachments
American Pickers TY250-2.jpg
American Pickers TY250-2.jpg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 5318 times
American Pickers TY250-1.jpg
American Pickers TY250-1.jpg (135.25 KiB) Viewed 5318 times

NonstopRoss
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby NonstopRoss » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 am

Greg Harding wrote:Can you tell me where you got the 12T 520 sprocket for a TL 250 as 13T is a little tall."

TYTrials.co.uk is the firm that supplied my 60T and my 12T sprockets. My sprockets are both beautifully annodized gold and fit straight on. They are made by TALON ENGINEERING LTD, YEOVIL, SOMERSET, UK. Some time early, I had contacted Talon directly about what they had for the TL250 and after a few days I received the reply saying, "Sorry we do not have any information on this bike".

Now TY Trials have figured out that the TL250 uses a TL125 hub (but needs an axel spacer as the motor is wider than the 125, hence the spacer with a dished sprocket solution from Honda) and so TY Trials just order up TL125 product from Talon.

My spacer is in the mail, so I will post some photos of it shortly.

Ross

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases Camcota TY175

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

Peter, thanks for posting the photos, your finger is on the pulse as always! Will have to wait for the reruns like you said.

Ross, Thanks for the info, will source a front to gear my heavy weight down a bit. Keenly await some more Kiwi TL photos.

Below, I have decided to post a photo of my TY175JC for the record Ian (otherwise known as a piece of crap).

First trial, Inaugural TY Challenge weapon of choice, result highest placed TY in Veterans.

Borrowed by several trials virgins and a few old hands reminiscing the 1970`s.

Second trial, SQTA road show Coffs Harbour which seemed to amuse quite a few people!

Suppose I am a bit of an Australian Picker:

Picked : ___________________________________________ = $450.00

Value : Expressions on peoples faces when the scores were read out = PRICELESS!
Attachments
IMGP4227.JPG

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:31 am

I'm still no further impressed than I was when you rattled you way up beside me several times on the weekend drowning out the sound of the "Camcota" wildlife. But no disputing the result and priceless expressions at the result reading and only confirms my opinion that Moto-Trials was, is and always should be ability based, not machine or class specific.
Good luck this weekend and I hope it passes the decibel check as it certainly won't win "Best in Show".

"The older I get the better I was"

gilly
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby gilly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Greg,
Congrats on the rattlers results. I heard a rumour today that you have moved the piston of the TY from sideways to up & down in readiness for the Ty challenge. Beware everyone you won,t hear it coming.Hey Donna, congrats also & hope you have caught up on your sleep. Gav

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases TY Challenge

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

Ian, couldn`t agree more about trials being ability based and anyone can have fun on any bike. Makes no sense at all to me that riders miss out on the fun, simply because they don`t have the funds to buy a new bike. Perhaps my Camcota bike would have been a serious contender for best rat TY! A few late nights last week and some help from motorcycle mechanic mate Steve, saw the secret weapon come to life!

Gilly, interesting that you mention the piston sounds, have not looked inside but I imagined a wavey circular motion. Donna had a great day and is keen for her next trial, personally I continue to be very impressed with her progression and determination.

Below is some photos from the TY Challenge, there are more action shots on TY Challenge by Don Duck.
Attachments
IMGP4232.JPG
TY field ready to ride
IMGP4236.JPG
TY field ready to ride
IMGP4355.JPG
Team Coffs Harbour: Greg, Darren and Darryn
IMGP4346.JPG
TY`s are made for it

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”