TY175 swingarm lengthening

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: TY175 swingarm lengthening

Postby FM350 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 am

The exception to this in terms of TS bikes are the forward kick Fantic's, where its quite possible to fit a modern swinging arm, as the spindle fits directly to the back of the cases, and this makes for much improved grip and far better handling.[/quote]
I challenge anyone to find an existing forum posting by FM350 that does NOT contain the word "Fantic" or derivatives of the word[/quote]

Maybe you would be good enough to let everyone know what other TS bike would accept the swinging arm from a modern machine no problem?

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:27 am

Why would anyone want to fit a swing arm from a modern bike onto a TS machine ?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 am

Who cares which modern swingarm fits which old bike?

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 am

Mark K wrote:
David Lahey wrote:I challenge anyone to find an existing forum posting by FM350 that does NOT contain the word "Fantic" or derivatives of the word

Sorry to ruin your perception David, but it wasn't much of a challenge. Just 2 days ago in a thread in "Trials Talk" Called "Honda TLR 200" he wrote
FM350 wrote:Slightly bigger valve from the XR200 will fit, but you will need to get the seat cut to accept the bigger valve. This will improve throttle response a bit and is something thats worth doing on the TLR.

Thanks Mark. I thought you might take me up on that challenge

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 pm

[quote="David Lahey":spam]Who cares which modern swingarm fits which old bike?[/quote:spam]

The fact that it would make the bike grip quite a bit better and is cheap mod to do might be of interest to anyone serious about TS trialing? You could ask the same question about why would anyone want to use a modern day Majesty frame costing £2k, which other than looking pretty isnt any better than the ones around in the early 80's in terms of handling or suspension geometry.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 pm

MMHHH is "lengthening your swingarm" code for something????????????????????? 8)

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:52 pm

FM350 wrote:
David Lahey wrote:Who cares which modern swingarm fits which old bike?

The fact that it would make the bike grip quite a bit better and is cheap mod to do might be of interest to anyone serious about TS trialing? You could ask the same question about why would anyone want to use a modern day Majesty frame costing £2k, which other than looking pretty isnt any better than the ones around in the early 80's in terms of handling or suspension geometry.

Well I can answer that one pretty easily. They might have a twinshock TY250 and love everything about it except for the shortcomings that the Majesty was developed to overcome.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Grip is one thing a Ty250 TS has never been short of,I'll never forget about three years ago a Mate and me were at a Trial in amongst lots of Gassers and Betas,my TY along with my mates 1955 Enfield works replica flew to the top of a hill that the moderns were getting stuck on.(The fact that neither of us could stop at the top for the 90 degree right turn was a different matter.....)
Anyway my TY is so lacking in power it couldnt use any ,more grip anyway. :wink:

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:21 am

Hello all. Not that this has anything to do with lengthening a TY 175 ( I don`t believe I just wrote that) swingarm but I will say that the Bully that Vesty won the English championship on was a Reg May modified one wich had the swingarm moved about an inch forward and slightly down. There are many pictures of it. The John Reynolds one was the last Reg May one which was even more modified and did not use a swingarm axle. It just had two bolts holding the swingarm on as close to the countershaft as Reg May could get it. It also worked very well acording to everything I have read. There are also many pictures of it as well. Graham.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:29 am

Bully fanatic wrote:Hello all. Not that this has anything to do with lengthening a TY 175 ( I don`t believe I just wrote that) swingarm but I will say that the Bully that Vesty won the English championship on was a Reg May modified one wich had the swingarm moved about an inch forward and slightly down. There are many pictures of it. The John Reynolds one was the last Reg May one which was even more modified and did not use a swingarm axle. It just had two bolts holding the swingarm on as close to the countershaft as Reg May could get it. It also worked very well acording to everything I have read. There are also many pictures of it as well. Graham.

Someone I know actually owned one of these ex works Bults (the one sold on Ebay a couple of years ago for £8K!), and he didnt seem to think it was much good at all strangely enough.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”