TY250 mono: Issues?

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: -
Club: -

TY250 mono: Issues?

Postby bird » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:02 pm

G'day, I'm considering a well used TY250 mono. Any advice on what to look for wear and tear wise, or any other issues
mechanical, handling or other to keep in mind. I know road bikes, but little about dirt bikes, and even less about this model. Appreciate any help the forum can provide. Cheers.

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Re: TY250 mono: Issues?

Postby Gary B » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:50 pm

I had a TY350 back in the day & had it for a couple of seasons.
It had a chrome bore so you couldn't get oversize pistons for it.
If the Mono your looking at is "Well used" as you have put it, it would be worth checking with your local Yamaha store if the 250 had oversize pistons available if it needs to be rebored.
Linkages on my 350 all had grease nipples & I think the 250 did too.
If its had any TLC over the years hopefully there has been some grease pumped in over its life.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:54 pm

If you have a 250 it may well have rattly top end............no real problem, as even if its very worn you can fit the piston from a DT250 which will increase capacity a bit, and give you a good cylinder again.

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: -
Club: -

Postby bird » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Cheers, bird.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 pm

I dont know if the same thing happened in Oz as did here in the UK,but many Yam mono's ended up on dairy farms with the herdsman using them to must cattle etc.Cow poo did alot of damage,esp to the wheel rims and spokes.I think the spokes were in short supply,but not sure what the situation is now.
In my opinion its was probably the best clubmans trials bike ever built.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:04 am

I think I had 4 TYs.........its a real shame that only the 4RT is anywhere near as reliable as the old TY mono, which is pretty much bulletproof! Spokes though are a problem, and not sure if these can be found anywhere nowadays?

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta

Postby AndrewT » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:48 am

I've had several 250 & 350 monos over past 25 years & still have a 250 Pinky - they are pretty bullet proof. Some of the very early models (84/85) had a weaker rear hub than the later ones (sprocket lugs shear off). Plenty of parts including NOS still around on ebay if you have the patience, and most bearings / seals etc are same as on many other Yamaha models. 250's can be rebored, 350's have to be sleeved or can be teflon coated. Watch out for corrosion in the wheel rims, and rear Z spokes - Talon rear hub with conventional lacing is the way to go. Workshop manuals easily available and they are a very simple bike to work on. Cheers Andrew

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”