Grey Import Trials Bikes?

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: -
Club: -

Grey Import Trials Bikes?

Postby bird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am

G'day. I want to buy my first trials bike and have been looking around my area (Brisbane) for an old bargain TL or TY (yeah, keep dreaming, I know). Most are clapped out after 40 odd years and restored bikes are beyond my budget. But, I've come across a few TY250 N/R monoshocks from the 80s and TLR 200 Hondas. Would the forum know if these bikes are official Australian models or grey imports, like a lot of road bikes, from places like Japan or the states. They look the business for the money, but I'm concerned about parts and service back-up, if they're overseas models. Also, any advice on what bike :QLD: would be 'right' for me. I'm a big bloke in my 50s and might be better suited to a 250 than 175, dunno. Appreciate any guidance the forum can offer. After 20 years off dirt bikes I'm keen to get grubby again! Cheers all.

Hazza
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: TMTC

Re: Grey Import Trials Bikes?

Postby Hazza » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Bird,

I don't think you would have any more problems buying ex Japan than local, it not like cars where they have to adhere to local design rules, generally with bikes of this age the parts can come from anywhere, at least with a Yamaha or Honda their are still lots of them around and still after market parts & mods available.

I would be interested in a look at the site if you will send me the link on the forum or PM if you prefer.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:35 pm

TY250 Mono is ideal for a beginner, and is probably the most reliable trials bike ever made. Only parts that might be difficult are the Z spokes, which even here in the UK can be hard to find.

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for your advice guys. Will take it on board. Cheers.

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Hey Bird
Do I remember you from Rob's farm down at Currumbin, if so I am the old fella who used to come down with my old Triumph Tiger Cub and we would all go off into the hills for a few hours.
What happened to the shed full of Ty's and Italjets ?
I'm over in the UK caring for my mom for a while but I'm coming back eventually.
My email address is, twinshock2@gmail.com, if I've got the right bloke, would love to have a chat and catch up.
Cheers
Roger Galpin

Pre 65 Classic bikes

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Sorry Roger, I'm not the bloke you mentioned. Never mind. Hope you connect with your mate another time. Cheers.

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 pm

PS Roger. Tell ya what, wish I was the bloke with a shed full of TYs and Italjets! Wonder where they are now...

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:30 am

PS Bird,, I'd put money they are still in the same shed, TY 350 mono's,TY250's, TY175's, Pinkies, Italjets, fabulous riding, great company, had some great days there.
If anyone knows where I am talking about please let Rob know I am still around.
Cheers

Pre 65 Classic bikes

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”