TY250 E Piston

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: TY250 E Piston

Postby Stanm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi
My A has the flat bit. So the major difference that is obvious is the con rod and the piston weight. Maybe some small portimg difference that are not so obvious. Would be great to get the porting specifications!
My feeling is the gearbox is a contributor to the performance difference but have not studied it.

Cheers

Stan

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi
I ended up purchasing a DT piston Kit from ebay USA. Got the cylinder rebored and checked the ring gap. 2nd ring was 26th so not happy as standard was 16.
As mentioned before my original piston was 218 gms and the DT was approx 246. The TY has a noticably thinner skirt so i hacked off about 10gms with a die grinder. As mentioned by Guy the TY shirt is also cut back slightly so I did that.
Bought a set of TY rings from ebay and they were better but still out of spec. So the rebore guy must have got it wrong. Also the new TY top rings stuck a bit in the DT piston groove. DY piston kit came with two sets of under piston springs. According to my TY parts manual the TY has only one spring under the second ring. I installed a spring under the top ring and this stopped the sticking.
Not real happy again but not about to waste a piston and rebore so installed the DT piston and rings gave it a test run last weekend and it went pretty well.

Just a warning to watch what you get from ebay. Also I would go for a TY piston next rebore over a DT for the lightness.
Or just get a wiseco one.
Cheers and thanks for your input.

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Stam
Be warned, the Wiseco piston are not what they use to be, a friend bought one and got a China made '' object '' less than perfect

Guy

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”