Leaking Betors resolution

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Takhli44
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY 175

Leaking Betors resolution

Postby Takhli44 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:59 am

I recently bought a pair of Betor trials shocks through Tryals Shoppe here in the states and they started leaking right away. Tryals Shoppe contacted Betor and they admited they put out a batch that were crap and are sending a new pair via Tryals Shoppe. Kudos to both companys that's the way to do business.
I return the leakers when I receive the new ones.

Hope this helps.

The new pair are said to have larger damper rods.

Don't let competition get in the way of having fun.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: Leaking Betors resolution

Postby FM350 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:20 am

The problem is related to faulty seals and has nothing to do with the damper rods. However its worth bearing in mind that Betor shocks arent that great in terms of quality, and as they are not re-buildable will very likely need to be replaced after less than a years use anyway. Here in the UK Falcon shocks only cost a little more, and as they can be rebuilt work out far less costly in the long term.

Takhli44
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY 175

Postby Takhli44 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:27 am

Thanks for the reply, I'm aware it's the seals, I was trying to point out that they made changes in the damper rod/seal area and not sending another faulty pair (hopefully). The Falcons I priced here were about $100 more than Betors or NJB. The last Falcons worked really well for about a year and then started leaking. Have been doing the top up thing on them for some time. I put 12 PSI of air pressure in them. Don't have a clue if this is where they should be but it works.

Don't let competition get in the way of having fun.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 am

takhli the falcons need more internal pressure than that to avoid leaking oil. I find 80psi (of air) works well in this regard

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:38 pm

I think Robin (who makes Falcon shocks) will be interested to know more pressure is required to help stop leaks...............lol

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:19 pm

FM350 wrote:I think Robin (who makes Falcon shocks) will be interested to know more pressure is required to help stop leaks...............lol

having the correct pressure prevents the seals leaking because the seals are designed to work with a certain pressure. I have found that 80psi works great and has worked great for me now for 8 years with no leakage. Are you saying 80psi is a high pressure? What are you actually saying? How about being helpful instead of trying to make fun of what people suggest? If you know what pressure Robin suggests for his Falcons, then spit it out man, don't talk in riddles

relax, nothing is under control

brt650
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco 350 Sherpa T
Club: DMCC

Postby brt650 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I have to back up your pressure comments David. I normally don't give out special info , but I believe it's needed on this occasion. I change the oil on my betor's and charge them with 70 psi. Otherwise they leak, these type of hydraulic seals require back up pressure for sealing.
While I'm at it , your correct also on the tube type IRC tires have more grip than the tube type Michelin's.I have just replaced my very worn IRC with a new tube type michelin rear and I'm sorry to say the grip just isn't there.
Not that I'm keeping tab's on you David.
Cheers
Brian :D

manxman
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TL125
Club: Coona MCC

Postby manxman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Go get em David. As it happens Sammy Miller Products have acknowledged there is a faulty batch and are replacing mine. Unfortunately it has just cost another $40 to post them back, minus springs to save weight (their idea) Hopefully it will be a new set with the blue seals.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Not sure if many are aware of the fact that the current Betor is a copy of Falcon design of around 18 years ago, but made using lower quality and less costly parts and materials? Increasing the required gas pressure inside an emulsion shock will do little or nothing to stop leaks, as in many cases these are caused by damper rod damage, which sometimes will only be visible using a magnifying glass. You are quite right in saying that 12psi is too little pressure though, and 40psi is probably the lowest pressure which should be used.

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 pm

FM350 wrote:The problem is related to faulty seals and has nothing to do with the damper rods.................

FM350 wrote:........ little or nothing to stop leaks, as in many cases these are caused by damper rod damage ......

Am I missing something here? I don't understand this apparent contradiction. :? :oops:

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”