Ty 250 swingarm bolt

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

pcurtis
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: sherco
Club: Wollongong

Ty 250 swingarm bolt

Postby pcurtis » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi all

Having trouble getting the swingarm bolt out of a TY250. We have been soaking it in WD40 and have got the bolt turning but can not get it to move sideways.
Next step is a much bigger hammer unless someone has a better suggestion.

Regards Peter

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Ty 250 swingarm bolt

Postby tat ty » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Peter .............. DON'T DO THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .........JUST DONT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My memory is that the bolt is frozen to the internal bush and that enthusiastic application of the FBH
results in damage to the swingarm.

I think that the somewhat labourious but recommended method is to prize the frame open slightly and use a hacksaw blade to cut the bolt.

The TYTRIALS website confirms the above and sells the entire kit. Go to the site and follow through to the swingarm kit, apparently has all the instructions.

Cheers

Alastair Farquhar.

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Stork955 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:21 am

Second that. Cut it out is the only way.

Cheers,

Stork

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

Agreed, its rusted solid onto an internal bush and its tring to push the whole lot out! Sort of 20mm bush through a 13mm hole wont go !! Its a mamoth task and you either make 2 cuts as previous thread state or try cooling bolt somehow if its hollow. Try using a freezing spray sort of thing Rugby players use and dirct a jet of freezing spray down hole, object is to shrink the bolt from the bush. If it sort of works, then get a mate to hold a big massive sledge hammer in place nexxt to swing arm pivot while you knock it out from other side.
If it 'aint hollow then back to plan A I'm affraid.
Horrid job I know, had to do a Fantic once, same prob!!
Good luck.

pcurtis
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: sherco
Club: Wollongong

Postby pcurtis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am

Hi guys

Thank you for the advice. As mentioned above we do have the bolt freed up and turning in the swingarm. We might try soaking it a bit more and try a medium size hammer with a lot of caution. If still no good we may have to cut it as you suggest (good suggestion,I wouldn't have thought of that) I will let you know how we go.

Regards Peter.

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:15 pm

pcurtis wrote:Hi guys

Thank you for the advice. As mentioned above we do have the bolt freed up and turning in the swingarm. We might try soaking it a bit more and try a medium size hammer with a lot of caution. If still no good we may have to cut it as you suggest (good suggestion,I wouldn't have thought of that) I will let you know how we go.

Regards Peter.

The bolt will be turning with inner sleeve. I have had success before by putting the frame into my press and pushing the bolt out but you need a large press and a couple of extra hands. Hitting with a hammer only mushrooms the bolt end or bends it over making it useless for any further use.
When that fails the only step is to cut or drill into the end of the swingarm bolt.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”