Section setting and severity

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Section setting and severity

Postby wazzawood » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 pm

I love setting sections.

But I often wonder if this or that is too hard or too easy. (Which usually results in a call of stuff 'em and going the hard option)

My question is what is a good score at the end of a trial? And I'm willing to accept about three replies of 'zero' before the joke gets old.
What I mean is, if the winner finishes on 30, and the last placed rider in the grade on 70, then that would suggest (to me) the sections were 'about right' (and the riders selected the correct grade) (assuming 5 laps of 7 sections). If I get a score over 90 I usually feel as though I really didn't get anything out of the trial (other than broken levers).

I know I've/we've set trials too hard in the past, but at last weekend's Canberra Club trial, I think it was the other way - our scores at the end of the day were (roughly) 22, 24 and 25 - (For Dave Johnson (who obviously cheated), myself and Sam Bingley) - which all seemed a bit easy, but also provided loads of fun as the scores were so tight.

So help me out here.. Do you like sections set hard or easy? It seems easier sections make for more exciting competition, whereas harder sections seperate riders by 10 or 15 points, so you're never really battling anyone for 6th place or whatever... But you're also riding nearer to your full potential. And probably developing new skills. And keeping AJP in business.

Any comments? Or any known ways to keep everyone happy? There's been discussions on this before, particuarly in regard to setting 'club trial' sections at a different level to 'Open trial' sections.
Wazza

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Section setting and severity

Postby David Lahey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:52 pm

I've always aimed for severity that has the winner of each class getting 20 points or less per day of competition.

relax, nothing is under control

Betaman
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BETA! wtf ;0)
Club: AJS Mcc

Postby Betaman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Well...Here's a can of worms.
We've just been through that one over here. Especially since the State Titles were run.
I thought they were spot on for difficultly but it seems talking to other riders my opinion is in the minority.
If you only losing points in the low twenties then Im inclined to think that the trial has been too easy and its only become a small test of concentration. If its going to be a real test of your abilities then expect to lose at least double that. Herein lies the problem tho-some riders are out there purely and simply to have a ride and have fun others on the other hand are hell bent on improving their skills and are eyeing off a spot in the next grade. Setting sections for these two types within the same grade isn't a simple task and thats where section setters can go prematurely grey.
Left to my own devices I'd prefer to set something harder than easier so everybody learns something.

In the ideal world both types of rider go home with their bike intact, with a smile on their face and they can't wait for the next trial to try out their new techniques they have learned at this one.

Just my 2 cents worth.....or was that 1 cent???!!!
http://throttlethrasher.blogspot.com.au/

My Videos - My Club

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Yes I think providing each rider in a grade are riding the grade they should be (ie. not riding clubman when you should be riding C or even B) that the winner of the class should be getting around 20 points.

I prefer sections that challenge me a little, I've just stepped up into C grade and have finished my first two C Grade trials on around 50 points, which I have thought to be about perfect as far as difficulty goes. Riding clubman I was finishing days around 2 points and that just takes the fun out of it!

As far as difficulty goes, I think you want to have sections that are of a level that you can clean if you put everything together right, or in some cases can 5 the same section if you don't get it right (obviously the level of skill required to get it right will differ with each grade.)

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

Samy
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT
Club: LRMTC

Postby Samy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:22 pm

I don't like them too hard, but i'm only out to enjoy the day. I don't like falling off :lol: But i sure do like a challenge, without too much risk to man and machine ;)

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Postby wazzawood » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Can of worms.. sweet :D
Do you think having another grade available would help? (C+ in Canberra, D grade anywhere else :idea: )

Considering a typical club day would have (correct me if i'm wrong here) say... (apart from X and A grade - you're alright), 6 B grade, 10 C grade and 10 clubman riders.. where half of the clubman riders (and maybe the odd C grade rider) would probably love the introduction of D grade. C to B is a big jump at the moment.

Has anyone tried this? If so, did you get shot down in flames? I would have loved D grade as a Clubman.

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:17 pm

well the new unaffiliated SQTA club up here actually runs 5 divisions. It basically goes like this:

5 - clubman
4 - half clubman lines, half c grade lines
3 - c grade
2 - half c grade, half b grade
1 - b grade

im riding in 3 (c grade) which i guess means the system doesnt have much effect on me, although I do think its a great idea. Gives those in between a chance to step up and ride a few of the upper grade lines without having a whole day of them!

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:22 pm

In SA we run A, B, C+, C, Clubman (or affectionately known as Puppy Class), Masters and Veterans. There are moves afoot to change all that but that is another story.

Masters is the domain of the old A Grade riders coming back down the food chain leaving B Grade to the riders going up to compete.

C+ has been a good stepping stone for riders who are ready to move on from C but do not have the skills to ride B.
Attachments
Moto-Trial Life Cycle.jpg
Moto-Trial Life Cycle Junior.jpg

sdeane01
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco
Club: TCC

Postby sdeane01 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I always thought the best way to run club trials was to ensure that if there was ten sections that 2-3 would be pretty straight forward to the top guys in the grade, the next 4-5 would be a bit of a challenge and the remaining 2-3 would be a level of the open rounds and be difficult for the top riders. This will sort out the correct order, allow riders to be challenged, and if a rider is staring in that grade they are not giving away too many 5's for not attempting the sections. If those riders are annoyed about not trying those sections and feel that they are not getting their moneys worth then they ride a lower grade in those missed sections. Therefore the scoring is correct, no one hurts themselves (hopefully) and all have a day where they are challenged and see what they need to work on to get to the top of that grade or progress into the next level.
The introduction of a 5 rather than a 10 for not attempting a section was a fantastic idea.

But there will always be those who complain. The answer to that may be to ask where THEY were when YOU and others were working and setting the sections so they could have a ride!!!

CRAFTY
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby CRAFTY » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm

well Wazza the worms are out there.
Nothing sucks harder than having a silly 5 and knowing your day is stuffed.
If sections are set 60% for the average rider in a grade and 40% for the top riders in a grade it gives the better riders a good challenge and the lower riders something to aim for.
Crafty

Return to “Trials Talk”