Old Queensland trials Poster. Who knows who this is?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sherco Qld
Dealer
Dealer

Old Queensland trials Poster. Who knows who this is?

Postby Sherco Qld » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:22 am

Hi All,

I have had this poster for a number of years.

Who knows who this is and what year this would be?

Cheers
Attachments
trialsscott JPG.JPG
trialsscott JPG.JPG (159.25 KiB) Viewed 7491 times

Sherco Qld
www.Sherco-Qld.com.au

BOGWHEEL
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco
Club: TCQ

Re: Old Queensland trials Poster. Who knows who this is?

Postby BOGWHEEL » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Someone with a good taste of machinery?

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:10 pm

#640, a very young Jeff Gough (RIP).

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Shane Mitchell in his junior days??

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Dunno about good taste, not much to pick from back then bogwheel, even looks like he is trying to get as far away from the Bully with that body language :D
Number plate is 840, and just not registering to my mind as Jeff, and Shane I remember him riding around at a Trial on a brand new cota 123 in 1976ish and was a long haired blondie and still in knappies then. That beanie must be a clue to someone.

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 am

The beanie reminds me of my old mate Chris Leighfield and it looks like his style, tall and all over the bike but not sure if he ever came up for any of our Qld club trials, unless he was on holiday.
The pic also looks a bit like a young Jeff Hill, he is local, but maybe too young.
Both these suggestions would be around early to mid 70's
Cheers

Pre 65 Classic bikes

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm still sure it's #640 and it's Jeff G.

Jeff Hill was a NZ,er and not riding in Oz around then.

Me and my Dad attended a trial at Biddaddaba in either late '73 or early '74 as spectators, i was 10 or 11 at the time. i've been hooked ever since. I have found the kodak slides, process dated march 1974.

I think some of the shots are from this Trial 18/11/1973. They are awful quality and i need to figure out how to post them here if anyone is interested.

They are mainly shots i took as a 10/11 year old, blurry and half an Ossa or Sherpa or Cota.

Definately got a shot of #640 leaving a section, cause he told me to get off his rock where i was standing to take the pic.

Also got a pic of a very young David Goldsmith (Sherpa) riding between sections at Biddaddaba in late '73 or early '74.

Can i post these pics once i've converted them, or do i need permission from said people.?

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Your right about Jeff Hill being a NZer and he would have still been back in New Zealand then eyeing off sheep.

No matter how bad those slides may seem to you please do post them.

I think everyone that visits this site Rod will all toss in and post bail if your arrested for showing us your pics from that Trial.

It would be just great to see what you did personally capture that day and I am very sure it would be very much appreciated by all.

Im still sure the plate in the pic is 840 and if you are sure 640 is Jeff Gough and bike # 640's rider told you to get off his rock well, 640 is gonna be Jeff :lol:

Look forward to your bit of Trials history.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Rod if it's your photo you can post it anywhere

Here's a few photos I took at a trial at Bidaddaba in 1974 that probably has nothing to do with the rider on the poster but I thought someone might enjoy it and might also recognise someone they know in the photo. I only know personally the bloke on the RL250 but I do remember seeing the others riding trials in the mid 1970s

My 10 cents worth about the bloke riding the M80 Bultaco on the poster is that it could only be Jeff Gough if it was taken before the first TY250 Yamahas came out in mid 1973, because he would have been on a Yamaha if the photo was taken taken after they came out. That photo could not have been taken earlier than 1971 because that was when that particular model bike came out. That gives a window of time for the photo (if it is Jeff) from 1971 to mid-1973. Jeff would have been about 15 in 1971 and about 17 in 1973 so I would say that the age of that rider would be about right to be Jeff.

Other things about the photo on the poster are that people making posters usually choose someone who can look interesting or spectacular in a photo and in that era 1971/72, Jeff would have been a suitable candidate. It's hazy in my memory, but early on in trials near Brisbane there weren't many clubs running trials. By 1975 there were lots but I'm thinking this poster is more likely to be 1972 or 1973. One such club was the one on the poster (Trials Club of Queensland) and another was the Ipswich West Moreton Club. Jeff was associated with the Trials Club of Queensland.
Attachments
save0043.JPG
save0043.JPG (340.75 KiB) Viewed 7282 times
save0045.JPG
save0045.JPG (242.71 KiB) Viewed 7282 times
save0042.JPG
save0042.JPG (232.52 KiB) Viewed 7282 times

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:13 am

while I'm on a nostalgia trip here is a photo taken at the 1975 Northern Districts Motorcycle Trials Club christmas breakup trial at Ron Boyle's Upper Lacey's Creek property (near Dayboro, Brisbane)
The people in the foreground from left to right are:
Shorty Hall (still rides trials), David Batterham on back of bike, Allan Gilbert (steering bike blindfolded), Kent Hughes, Reg Broom and Stan Gilbert
Attachments
1975 NDMTC xmas party0001.JPG
1975 NDMTC xmas party0001.JPG (37.51 KiB) Viewed 7277 times

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Trials Talk”