Sherco 2011 ST2.9 Cabestany Ignition Specs

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

holster
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 300 ACR
Club: WDTC

Sherco 2011 ST2.9 Cabestany Ignition Specs

Postby holster » Tue May 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi

I have a 2011 Sherco ST2.9 Cabestany Replica. It has no spark.
Does anyone have, or can point me in the right direction to, the specifications required to diagnose any problems with the ignition system?
Is it easy enough to check with a multimeter or is it usually a process of elimmination by replacing parts (which I don't have).
I have already confirmed it is not the spark plug by testing with a known good one.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Holy

motocentral
Dealer
Dealer

Re: Sherco 2011 ST2.9 Cabestany Ignition Specs

Postby motocentral » Wed May 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Sherco Stator readings for Leonelli coils

Resistance between White Cable And Green =630 Ohms + / - 30
Resistance between White Cable And Red =83 Ohms + / - 6
Resistance PICK-UP-- Positive to Brown cable and Negative White cable = 6,3 Mohms
Resistance PICK-UP-- Positive to Black cable and Negative White cable = 6,3 Mohms
RESISTANCE PICK-UP POSITIVO TO BLUE CABLE AND NEGATIVE WHITE CABLE = OVER LODATE.... O.L.

Play with Gravity

holster
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 300 ACR
Club: WDTC

Re: Sherco 2011 ST2.9 Cabestany Ignition Specs

Postby holster » Sat May 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Many Thanks for the stator test specs.

I only got a chance to look at it today and managed to test the stator connections - I got some readings that were quite a bit out of those ranges so was starting to plan for a stator replacement/repair. I even found the specs of the hall sensors to replace them and effect my own stator repair if necessary (since they are only a few $$ compared to a few hundred $$ for a replacement stator :shock: ).
Also ordered a flywheel puller.

Now I had to wait for that to arrive so whilst the tank was off I also took the exhaust off and have decoked the header pipe and it is currently in the freezer to push out a small ding in the pipe (I'll post an update if this is successful). I may decoke the main exhaust tomorrow but not sure if it really needs it yet. Also fixed up some poor wire connections and took the opportunity to clean all those parts that normally can't be seen.
I also found some other stator specs online so figured I would take a note of my readings for comparison. Then I thought I should check the plug cap - took it off and all looked OK but then tested it and there was no continuity through the cap. I then reconnected the stator and CDI and turned it over to see a spark from the HT lead - woohoo!

So now the question is - what cap to replace it with? The parts manual shows a resistor plug (the plug in mine is not a resistor plug).
Do I just replace it with a straight through plug cap and put a resistor plug in? (this would also be more convenient as my son's bike is also a resistor plug). Or is there a specific plug cap required for this bike?

Bit relieved to say the least. :D

Cheers
Holy

Return to “Technical help”