TY250n rec. trials bike.

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

typarts-aus
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY250a

TY250n rec. trials bike.

Postby typarts-aus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 pm

A mate has a TY250n for sale and wants $1600. It is a regular ride and in good condition for its age. It comes with all the lights and some spares, what are your thoughts on this for a rec. trials bike and its value........site unseen for you guys I realise.

Ben Z
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: TY250n pinky rec. bike.

Postby Ben Z » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 pm

First thought is some details need checking...

ty250N is around 84 or 85 build i think and is definitely not a pinky! It is drum brakes both end. Availabe in 250 and 350..

Pinky is 88 build onwards, possibly 87?? Factory disc front end, adjustable rear shock etc... 250 only available...

a ty250n cannot be a pinky...

Cheers

-------------------------------------------
Finding it tough on a solo??
You should take up sidecars!
At least you have someone else to blame for the 5!!!!!!!

typarts-aus
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY250a

Re: TY250n pinky rec. bike.

Postby typarts-aus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks Ben, so it is not a Pinky as I know it to be 84 yr. What else can you tell me about this model.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: TY250n rec. trials bike.

Postby FM350 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 am

With any TY Mono, its a good idea to see if its an S or an R model. The R here in the UK had a plastic fuel tank, alloy back box and adjustable shock, and seemed to rev more cleanly than the S (possibly due to the exhaust). UK model S has steel tank, and some had very restrictive steel back boxes, and non adjustable shock.

Main things to look for on the TY Mono are condition of rear shock, and wheels (the Z spokes are difficult to find if wheels need to be rebuilt). Most motors are likely to rattle, but this is easily sorted by fitting an oversize Wiseco piston intended for a Yamaha Tri Z trike. Other than those things you just need to look at the general condition, and be prepared to cut open and clean out the front pipe (which will almost certainly be clogged).

Return to “Technical help”