TY250 twinshock clutch mod

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

brt650
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco 350 Sherpa T
Club: DMCC

Re: TY250 twinshock clutch mod

Postby brt650 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:32 am

Hello David,
My clutch started slipping recently. The plates looked fine(surflex) I think that was it.So I spaced the springs with 1 mm washers. It doesn't slip now , but it did make the clutch heavier.The clutch is great now with the mods though. I have bought a 159 Sherpa t to replace the Italjet , but the Sherpa needs a major birthday. So I'll keep going with the italjet for now. I'm a member of the DMCC. We had our first round 2 weeks ago. It was excellent.The perfect club from my point of view. :D

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Peter Paice wrote:No criticism intended of David for trying to make his clutch light, it is just a worry that bikes are being modified to match modern bikes, and ridden in a modern style. I believe the whole reason for a twin shock class should be to bring back the riding style of that era combined with having a love for the old bikes.

I know my hands would have been much stronger back in the old days, so maybe a lighter clutch would be beneficial for older guys, but not necessary for use within a section.

The modern bikes are already available, so no need to modify old bikes. I have seen a couple of TY’s butchered and almost unrecognisable, to try and make them ride like a modern bike. The rules for twin shocks should be non stop and with the percentage of twin shock bikes being small compared to the rest, the observers would have no trouble accommodating them. There is no grey area for the observers to get confused under the 70’s rules. I’m sure the non stop rules would encourage older riders to come back to trials because there wouldn’t be the technical aspect required to ride modern style.

The modern rules being applied to old bikes are what annoy me, not the riders who are all enjoying this great sport.

You are right Peter on the part about modern rules, but there is more to this, I will explain further how I see it where I ride in the West.

The main reason I will be modifying my TY is be able to ride it in a trial set with modern bikes. I am under no delusion that a separate trial just for twinshocks with non-stop rules will be accommodated, as the number catering for to compete will not justified, so moderns compete together on the same course.

The main problem is the course setters, they often don't allow flowing lines and try to accommodate all grades, so the trial if set for twinshock in theory should be an easier modern trial.

The twinshock is generally not suited to these trials, it is often too tight and can be dangerous with drum brakes in steep loose corners, or steep rock climbs. So what do you do, sit by and let the clubs over here keep doing this? I tried to get momentum going a couple of years back for twinshocks to get the numbers up to compete in the series that was run then. The odd course setter was keeping twinshocks in mind, majority ruled and it was a modern trial again. Also I dont dare to raise a non-stop rule trial, I got shot down in flames for that, it's too confusing?

However one event a Scott Trial is non-stop, but far too hard on a twinshock as I found out, after two days it was too hard on bike and body, unless you like to be time penalised each lap!

So what do I do now, leave the TY as a shed filler? No, I will modify the bikes performance and setup to be able to ride the easier series still. What I intend to do is get the bike to deliver a more snappier mid-range to be able to make it more enjoyable to ride and not be frustrated and left wondering why I entered. Sure my ability wont be a factor, but I will possibly drop less points. The hard trials, I will ride the modern, simple as that.

This weekend a Twinshock Challenge is being set, the only twinshock event set for our club's calendar. After the twinshock series was dropped last year, lucky I raised this point with the club president and this is all we got, one trial for twinshocks that is run under modern rules, set in mind for twinshocks and moderns. I will be pushing for a series again for next season.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Jena L grimsey
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY's, Huskys
Club: gold coast mx club

Postby Jena L grimsey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:11 pm

well, what an interesting conversation! I can see why you would want to make the clutch lighter as they can be quite hard to pull in....if you are pulling them in all day. I remember having sore hands from this....(although I probably wouldnt have noticed it as much if i didnt spend majority of my time on the TY trying to do wheelies so I could out do my father.) But i soon realised after a few tips from an ol geezer that If i rode the TY like a TY and not like my then boyfriends Sherco it became a lot easier. And it taught me so much more riding like this, keeping momentumn and trying to be smooth. Riding like this also gives so much more satisfaction when u suceed a section. If I had of known about this modification when riding my TY i probably would have asked dad to change it..... lucky I didnt, I soon would have got lecture on it! .......'it's not the bike....it's the rider!'
Im sure though as time goes on and when im older and my hands have arthuritus....and my TY still hasnt been upgraded (well since the TY 175 to the TY250) .... i hopefully will have gained all the skills and become a champion TY rider and will take my clutch cable off completely and let my lever hang free and ill be bumping the bike to a start and riding like smooth criminal!

Jena Grimsey

Peter Paice
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Yamaha

Postby Peter Paice » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 am

Hey ROSS,is that you over there in the corner in the rocking chair with the blanket and warm glass of milk. Aint old age a bitch !!!!!!!!
Cheers

SQUAT 405
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: beta 13 factort 300
Club: S.Q.t.A.

Postby SQUAT 405 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 am

Howdy Pete No thats me!!!!!!!! Ross is the one pushing me on my rocker telling me not to use the crutch !!!!!!!!

SQUAT 405
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: beta 13 factort 300
Club: S.Q.t.A.

Postby SQUAT 405 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:46 am

Jena L grimsey wrote:well, what an interesting conversation! I can see why you would want to make the clutch lighter as they can be quite hard to pull in....if you are pulling them in all day. I remember having sore hands from this....(although I probably wouldnt have noticed it as much if i didnt spend majority of my time on the TY trying to do wheelies so I could out do my father.) But i soon realised after a few tips from an ol geezer that If i rode the TY like a TY and not like my then boyfriends Sherco it became a lot easier. And it taught me so much more riding like this, keeping momentumn and trying to be smooth. Riding like this also gives so much more satisfaction when u suceed a section. If I had of known about this modification when riding my TY i probably would have asked dad to change it..... lucky I didnt, I soon would have got lecture on it! .......'it's not the bike....it's the rider!'
Im sure though as time goes on and when im older and my hands have arthuritus....and my TY still hasnt been upgraded (well since the TY 175 to the TY250) .... i hopefully will have gained all the skills and become a champion TY rider and will take my clutch cable off completely and let my lever hang free and ill be bumping the bike to a start and riding like smooth criminal!

Hi Jena Happy birthday, hope you are getting better ,,,,,,,,john

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”