TY250 E Piston

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

TY250 E Piston

Postby Stanm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi Folks
I have my TY250 E apart and I am looking to get and oversized piston.

I can source oversize original piston via ebay but will an after market perform much better and late as long? I want a good quality long lasting piston kit. Say 32 years would be good ( like last one the E was on the original piston !!! ) Some suggestions on brands and suppliers would be great.

I have also contacted redlizard co UK who sell Heptolite pistons. They said the don't supply TY ones. But the do supply DT ones. So is the DT 250 piston exactly the same? If so I would appreciate some advice / numbers /year so I can source the right piston.

Cheers

Stanm

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Re: TY250 E Piston

Postby TriCub » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Not familiar with a TY250E(What year is it) but if it was me I would get the original if the price wasn't to bad. If you had an MX machine or some sort of race bike you would probably think about a Wiseco or a Wossner both of which are forgings. The original is very well made casting that if looked after will give you a very long life. The forged pistons are stronger but quite often a little heavier and need more clearence as the metal has a higher expansion rate causing them to rattle more.
If one of my customers asks for a piston to be supplied when I bore there cylinder, I will only get an aftermarket piston if the genuine is not available or in most cases double the price.

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi TriCub
The E is a 1978 twinshock pretty much the same as the B-D. It had a very strong stock motor when I got it several years ago. In fact I think the motor had very little use. I am very keen also to know the difference between these models. Particularly the A and E. I have and "A" piston barrel and head and the "E" piston looks the same to me. Is it in the crank space??? I will do some measurements and post them for comment.
I tried Wossner and they don't have any 0.25 or 0.5 oversize pistons.
Have you bored Ty's before? Are you in Melbourne? Can you advise what is the recommend bore clearance for the standard?
Do you think their is any performance benefit the after market ones?

Thanks for the advice

Stan

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby TriCub » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I can't tell you what is different between the models but if the piston looks the same as the A model then a DT250 piston will work ok. I think I have done a bore on a TY250 before ,but after doing this for over 20 years the memory is a bit shaky. I'm in Brisbane. The stock clearance is around .05mm from memory. There is no performance advantage using aftermarket pistons although the Wossner has a teflon coating which is meant to reduce friction. I have not noticed any difference myself. I would still stick with a Yamaha piston if you can get one. The other chance is a Pro-x piston, I'll have a look in their catalouge later.

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby TriCub » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Who did you try for the Wossner? The catalogue I have list oversizes starting at .5mm.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Tricub, you rebored my TY250B about 10 years ago and used a Wiseco DT250 piston and it has been very good for durability.
A local motorcycle mechanic rebored my TY250D motor (the one in the Majesty) and also used a Wiseco DT250 piston and it has also gone very well but that was only 2 years ago.
The Yamaha DT250 piston is the same in all the important dimensions as the Yamaha TY250 piston. Yes the TY250ABCDE can all use the Wiseco DT250 piston. From memory the windows are a slightly different shape in the DT piston, and this can be fixed by reshaping them. I don't remember how close in shape and position the Wiseco rear windows are to the Yamaha TY250 piston windows, but I remember that I didn't reshape them before use.
The TY250E barrel is the same design as the C and D models
The internal design of the B model cylinder is the same as the CDE models but is quite different externally to the CDE models.
The A model cylinder is different externally to all the others, and I have never had to pull my A model head or barrel off so I don't yet know how different it is inside to the others.
As good as the Wiseco pistons have been that I have used, I would still prefer to use original Yamaha pistons because they are quieter from a cold start and have proven themselves to be incredibly long-lasting and reliable.
David

relax, nothing is under control

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi
I got the lead for the Wossner piston on ebay. Actually never hear of them before but their spiel sounded good.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/firefoxracinguk
Advice re other suppliers and Pro X appreciated
Stan

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi David & Tricub
As you guys have both suggested I am now keen to go for the original.

My bore 70mm and have measured it at about 70.03-70.05 with a few cratches. The local guy I spoke to about a rebore suggested I got to 70.5 (skipping the .25 o/s) as he was no confident to get a clean rebore. ( without looking at It) Would this be your recommendation Tricub??

So now come the bit that is confuses me re the Original piston.

My E manual 2nd o/s - 438-11636-01 Rings 434-11610-02 and the A & B manual is the same.

I have seen some DT250 rings with the same number but piston is different. Any idea on the cross referencing on DT and TY original pistons. Or suggestion on the year of DT250.
Good to hear your opinion David and I will compare the TY head and barrel and head and let you know what I find. Have you ever researched the crank volumes of the different models?

Cheers

Stan

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby TriCub » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:41 pm

You can try "Bikes and bits Importers" in Perth or "Serco" in Brisbane both are Wossner dealers and Serco have the Wiseco. I'm sure if you Google you will find them.
The Wossners are German made and at the moment are a bit cheaper. They both use the same rings and both are forged with the Wossner being coated with Teflon.
Boring to .25 can be tricky and if I have to do it I would bore it to the honing size (.075mm under the finished size) before ordering the piston so that if it doesn't clean up you can go up to the next size. Your local guy may not want to do that because it takes more time. Going to .25 from the original bore should be ok but if it has already been bored it might not be square anymore and that can cause problems.
If you go with aftermarket you can't get .25 so the last paragraph was a waste of my one finger typing.

David. I remember now I think!

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:12 am

Don't know why but my first reply did not '' travel '' to Australia. I have in the basement a ty ( 434 model ) and a dt ( I don't remenber the model but will post the number ). The DT is heavier than the TY and the '' corner '' of the sleeve are slightly shaved on the TY. I will post pictures tonight ( I am in Canada )

Guy

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”