A model TY250 rear shocks

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

adventurepig
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty250
Club: na

A model TY250 rear shocks

Postby adventurepig » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi, new here at trialls forum. My Ty250 A model needs rear shocks. Can anyone recommend a set at a reasonable price. Im probably only at a clubman level of riding.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Re: A model TY250 rear shocks

Postby Stu » Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 pm

g'day,
you will receive plenty of choices here, but since i've purchased a set of Falcon shocks from Don Newell in Brisbane my TY is much more enjoyable to ride. Sure they do cost a bit, but i've spent alot of money over years on the wrong shocks. I've been riding Clubman grade or over 26 years...hope this helps.
Hope to see you out in the sections soon!

Feet up, as always!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun May 01, 2011 8:45 pm

There is a pretty wide price range for the shocks that will fit a TY250A. On eBay there are shocks from the Phillipines that are about $80 but if you want the rear end to work reasonably there are few types of shocks designed for trials from the UK to choose from with pricing under $200. Top of the range trials shocks will cost more. They do have a very good action though and many people do buy them.

Tha main thing you should aim for is that they should be 340mm eye to eye and have spring rates of either 40lb/inch or 50 lb/inch, depending on how heavy the rider is. For riders over 80kg I would suggest getting 50lb/inch springs.

The advantage of the top of the range shocks is that the damping action is very well optimised for both unweighting the rear end, and controlling the compression stroke without being harsh. Some are available with aluminium bodies, which usually attracts a price premium.

relax, nothing is under control

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Adventurepig, I own an A model and I had the same problem you have. Sent an email to Norman at NJB shock in UK and they set up a pair of what they call Expert trial shock ( expert I am not ) , first time out it was impossible not to notice the major improvement they made to the Ty and made it easier to ride. I went for the 340mm as mention by David, it seem's the way to go even if some locals were pushing for 360 for ground clearance ( not a good idea I tried a TY B with 360mm shock and it felt very '' weird ''). Also what I found important was the 12mm shaft on the NJB that is sturdier than the smaller ones. Anyway stop doing what I did for one season and get a new set, it is a realy big improvement on the ride.Whatever make you chose I think it is important to be able to get them set up right unless you know how to yourself.

guy

adventurepig
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty250
Club: na

Postby adventurepig » Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. Ive sent off a few emails to the UK.

Cheers

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Its worth remembering that shocks which are cheaply made and not re-buildable, must be replaced if they are worn or get damaged, and that in the long run if you ride on a regular basis those you can rebuild are likely to be a better idea.

In terms of performance the best trials shocks currently available are Falcon, and for less able riders good shocks are well worth having, as they will help to make bikes grip better and make them easier to ride.

Rock-Shocks while they do not perform as well as Falcon can be re-built by the home user, and spare parts are easily available.

However its worth checking if the internal bore of any alloy body shock has been hard anodised, as those which have not been finished in this way, do seem to wear faster than those which have been hard anodised.

Return to “Technical help”