Fantic 240 pro restore

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Njfm03
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Scorpa
Club: Rton trials club

Fantic 240 pro restore

Postby Njfm03 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:40 am

Hello everyone, I have got hold of a Fantic 240 pro.
I need advice on some spares
Rear Shocks- originals falcons, do I have them rebuilt or source
others. Brand ??? Any ideas???
Plastics - f & r guards. Side covers . Any available in oz ?
Recommended supplier in UK?
Steering head bearings and fork seal kits- tried pyramid parts
had one reply but after numerous emails nothing since.
Hope someone has some ideas for me
Brian

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Re: Fantic 240 pro restore

Postby Jon V8 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 am

Try here for Fantic parts; http://www.fantictrials.co.uk/
As for the shocks,I'd get the Falcons rebuilt; http://www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk/
Nice bike,be good to have it up together again.

Reinald
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320 1982
Club: WDTC

Postby Reinald » Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Brian,
Don Newell in Brisvegas will do those falcons up for you.
Betors from SMP products [and others] are cheap as chips [$156aus] plus freight around 20 -30 dollars and local reports are they are fine for clubman riders but I have not tested the new ones I bought for my SWM, but Tim and other locals use them. Our local twin shock guru - Feetup fun - is a Falcon man and he reoils and regases his own.
UK guys may have blown a few Betors up on extreme sections and there is heaps to read about this subject on this forum and trials central.
I reckon you'll be chasing 40lb springs - I ride on 40lbs on the ty with too much preload so 50lb is probably right for me at 98kgs and thats what i got for the SWM.
I have ridden both my SWMs with Betor and Falcon and I can't tell any performance difference. With that said the old doorstops I had on the ty probably only had damping because of a bent shaft and they worked OK for me!!! [I can here Dave sighing from here =P~ ].
The springs on the betors jumped off their collars and I thought they may have had different diameter springs but not so sure it wasn't the collars now.
These older betors are not rebuildable but the new ones [experts they are called] have holes cap end where the shaft goes in so maybe they can be rebuilt. I good suspension shop can rebuild non rebuildables by cutting and re-welding anyway.You can also get both in aluminum for extra bling and then if you really want to go crazy, magicals with their hidden scrader valves and heim style eyelets look like the "flies thighs".
If none of this makes sense PM me on FB.
Good luck on that wannabe SWM #-o .

I'd rather be a D grade participant than an A grade spectator....

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Beware of all recently made Betor shocks: Apparently a substantial number of those recently made have faulty seals and are failing within a few trials!

Falcons can be rebuilt, but you might find the cost of getting this done in Aus is higher than buying a new pair from UK, but the main reason for buying new ones is due to the later ones having uprated internal parts which will work more effectively. The "Magical" shocks are made by the same people that make Betor, and while the quality seems much better they dont seem to be re-buildable.

Steering head bearings and fork seals can be obtained from any good bearing supplier, but make sure you ask for hydraulic rather than rotary seals, as the rotary type dont seem to last long when used in forks. If you are after original appearance, vac formed guards are available from UK Ebay sellers, but if not 242 or 309 Montesa rears will work, as will TY250 Mono fronts.

Clive.Agi Halls
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TRS 125 x- Track
Club: Oakleigh & STR

Postby Clive.Agi Halls » Wed May 23, 2012 5:34 pm

I found Chris Stevens classictrial@gmail.com very helpful & has lots of trick bits.I put YSS shocks on my Fantic 200 they are very good & are fully rebuildable if the need arises but those using them say they are pretty tuff. I love riding my Fantic its got a great feel to it. Had a 240 a few years back & never gave myself time to readjust to twin shock riding & sold it, what a mistake.If you come across another 240 for sale give us bell but the 200 is not going to get moved on.

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Postby Joe Henderson » Fri May 25, 2012 9:31 am

Dear NJFM,

These are the people that helped me with the sorting of my 240 pro.

Norman J Blakemore from NJB Shocks has built me several pairs of shocks for various trials bikes that have transformed the machines.

I looked at the Falcon/Magicals/Betor/Hagon/YSS option but they were all too expensive or did not perform.

Email him at norman@njbshocks.co.uk with your weight, type of sections you will be riding and details of the bike, including any modifications you have made, and a pair of custom tailored shocks will drop through your letterbox within two weeks. Quite brilliant to deal with.

Bob from Bob Wright Motorcycles has a plethora of original NOS fantic parts for sale.

Similar service, send him a list and it drops through your letterbox. Simplicity itself.

Chris Stevens from classictrial.co.uk knows everything and sold me a ( whisper it quietly! ) OKO flatslide kit for my Fantic 240 that fitted a treat and ran like a dream straight from the box.

He then sent me, at very short notice I might say, a round slide OKO, that I needed quickly when the Post Classic world in Australia shat themselves over the use of flatslides on twinshocks, that also ran like a treat.

Thinking about it, and after a difficult experience with the Australian stockists, I would not even TRY to buy an OKO for a trials bike from anyone else.

With various bits and tyres from Paul Arnott at The Hell Team in Sydney, Venhill cables and cable kits from Trials Bits UK and genuine Magura levers from Weekend Warriors off BastardBay I am set for the next few seasons.

Regards,

Joe Henderson.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:29 am

Clive.Agi Halls wrote:I found Chris Stevens classictrial@gmail.com very helpful & has lots of trick bits.I put YSS shocks on my Fantic 200 they are very good & are fully rebuildable if the need arises but those using them say they are pretty tuff. I love riding my Fantic its got a great feel to it. Had a 240 a few years back & never gave myself time to readjust to twin shock riding & sold it, what a mistake.If you come across another 240 for sale give us bell but the 200 is not going to get moved on.

I wonder do you have the fully adjustable YSS shocks, and did you buy from importer in Aus or from a dealer in Thailand (might be cheaper possibly?). Someone in the UK who uses YSS has alloy body units with adjustable damping, that he advises will sell for less than £300 retail.

Njfm03
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Scorpa
Club: Rton trials club

Postby Njfm03 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Hello all , I am looking for some technical
advice . The steering head bearings for the
240 pro according to pyramid parts are
25 x 45 x 12 does these sizes sound ok as
they had trouble finding listing for the old
girl. Or alternatively what is the correct
way to measure for taper bearings?
Thanks
Brian

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:11 pm

The measurements are the ID of the inner race (steering stem bearing seat diameter), the OD of the outer race (steering head inside diameter) and the thickness of the assembled bearing, all in millimetres
Some bikes have different size top and bottom, some are the same top and bottom

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Head bearings for a 240 are standard size taper rollers, and if you take the ID of the headstock, and OD of the steering stem to any good bearing supplier, they should be able to supply off the shelf.................

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”