ty 250 improvements

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

yamaha man
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: ty 250 improvements

Postby yamaha man » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for that.

Can you think of any other mods that could be done?

What could be done to shed some weight from the bike?

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:41 pm

The purpose of steepening the steering angle, is to reduce the distance from the front wheel spindle to the crankshaft centre line, thereby altering the front/rear weight distribution putting more weight on the front. Fitting longer rear shocks wont help with this, and in some cases longer shocks will mean less wheel grip, as this alters the rear suspension squat geometry.

Other than the obvious modifications to the stock chassis on the TY, you need to look very carefully at the intake and exhaust systems, and ideally fit modern 38mm forks which will work better than OE 36mm ones, and mean you will no longer suffer from the stock tiller type top yoke. Its also possible to fit the rear shock and linkage system from a newer different make bike, which will mean improved rear suspension, which wont cost that much to do if you can find good used parts.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 am

I can see the point of changing footrest position and fitting a different carb,(Its probably well worn) etc to a Yam mono,but back when they were new the whole spectrum of riders had a great deal of success,(And fun) on these bikes in standard or slightly modified state.Unless you are at a high level of competition the bike will be more capable than you.You just need to remember its not a 2012 Gas Gas.... (Or buy a 2012 Gasser if thats what you want the Yam to be)
One thing that hasnt been mentioned is changing the front brake cable for a full length outer type - everyone did this back in the day.I also wouldnt recommend removing flywheel weight unless you are a very good rider,stalling in a section gives a 5,slipping the clutch if you have to is no crime for a quick get go, and loses no marks.
I'd get it up together and ride it - they are very tough bikes and hard to wear out.The one I had in 1988 was an 85 TYR,well worn when I bought it and I treated it very badly, but it never let me down and was easier to ride and gave me more success than the Fantic 241 it replaced and the Honda RTL that followed it.Enjoy !

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:47 am

Jon, at the time was the footrest mod ( lowered ) done to your bike?
I spoke to Mick Andrews this weeckend and the first thing he told me was " the pegs are too high " , but appart from that he told me to check the exhaust and clean the carb, for the rest I have to agree with you. When I talk about the piston he simply said the a piston with the 2 ports hole is less efficient than a piston with a cressent shape skirt ( as discussed in another thread ) but would wear out quickly.
Guy
PS Jon , have you finish that TS TY and if yes what are your comments.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 am

Things have moved on a great deal since the 80's, and the main reason for altering an old style bike to have more weight on the front is to provide more front end grip (and much improved steering), and this is now feasible due to modern rear tyres which grip far better than those available back in the 80's.

The difference between old style bikes manufactured when low grip tyres were all that were available, and current machinery is shown here:
http://www.wmta.us/bikes.html

All current bikes have weight bias toward the front end, whereas old type machines were 45/55 rear bias. Try riding a modern bike then get on something like an old TY twinshock, and you will immediately notice how much better the modern bike steers and handles.

Unless you are someone who wants to use low grip rear tyres, altering the chopper steering angle of any older bike is the going to make a great deal of difference, and will mean bikes are far more competitive and more fun to ride.

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 am

Good lord.
I do not want to start a war but for the second time this friday I attended a class on how to ride a TS and the first point was the riding position to make sure NOT to load the fornt wheel. I certanely won't go to a trial with section made by you FM.
Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 am

I just did some calcs using that table that FM350 provided a link for. I'm guessing that FM350 is looking at the unladen weight balance in that table for his theory about front end loading but bikes are not able to ride themselves so I worked out the load on the front wheel with a 180 pound rider aboard for the 2003 GasGas, TY250 mono and TY250 twinshock, using moments about the rear axle for bike weight and rider weight, assuming all the riders weight is applied to the footpegs (just like we are taught to ride).
Gas Gas 0.513x150+180x17/53=134 pounds
TY250 mono 0.468x184+180x14.25/52.25=135 pounds
TY250 TS 0.45x201+180x15.5/52.5=143 pounds
So the oldest design has the most weight on the front end, and the TY250 mono has slightly more than the 2003 Gas Gas
Maybe a different explanation might be required for why modern bikes are easier to ride (rather than front wheel loading).
I think the main contributing factors are improved mass centralisation and reduced weight.

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:07 pm

David Lahey wrote:I just did some calcs using that table that FM350 provided a link for. I'm guessing that FM350 is looking at the unladen weight balance in that table for his theory about front end loading but bikes are not able to ride themselves so I worked out the load on the front wheel with a 180 pound rider aboard for the 2003 GasGas, TY250 mono and TY250 twinshock, using moments about the rear axle for bike weight and rider weight, assuming all the riders weight is applied to the footpegs (just like we are taught to ride).
Gas Gas 0.513x150+180x17/53=134 pounds
TY250 mono 0.468x184+180x14.25/52.25=135 pounds
TY250 TS 0.45x201+180x15.5/52.5=143 pounds
So the oldest design has the most weight on the front end, and the TY250 mono has slightly more than the 2003 Gas Gas
Maybe a different explanation might be required for why modern bikes are easier to ride (rather than front wheel loading).
I think the main contributing factors are improved mass centralisation and reduced weight.

I guess you have never tried altering the steering angle on an older bike? The vast improvements to be found here come from increasing front wheel grip, by moving the front wheel spindle closer to the crank centre line. As motorcycle tyres have improved over the years, steering angles have gradually become steeper, mainly in order to increase front end traction and improve steering. Some very interesting information on steering geometry can be found in Tony Foales excellent book covering motorcycle chassis design.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Guy53 wrote:Good lord.
I do not want to start a war but for the second time this friday I attended a class on how to ride a TS and the first point was the riding position to make sure NOT to load the fornt wheel. I certanely won't go to a trial with section made by you FM.
Guy

Try riding a tight and very slippery turn with all your weight over the back end of the bike (as you have been taught) and then give it a go with weight over the front to provide more traction.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:19 pm

FM350, have you ever ridden a trials bike in a trials section?

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Technical help”