ty 250 improvements

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

whitehillbilly
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Greeves
Club: SQTA

Re: ty 250 improvements

Postby whitehillbilly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:41 pm

How would we ever know David ???? someone on his laptop a million miles away, as we can all read anything that out there. At least we can see photos of you at Trials.

whitehillbilly

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:12 pm

David Lahey wrote:FM350, have you ever ridden a trials bike in a trials section?

I have been riding since the early 70s, and always find first hand experience counts for quite a lot. On very easy sections though I wouldnt expect old style weight distribution, and steering geometry are going to make much difference though. Updates to these areas do make a great deal of difference when riding sections intended for modern bikes though, and tend to make older bikes easier and more fun to ride.

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Maybe the fact that I never go to a trial comp organise by a modern bike association ( even if they advertise that TS are welcome ) make me think differently from you FM. I am cheering for every organiser that promote non-stop trial, probably because that's the way I learned or because I simply like it when my fellow riders look and talk to me as if I was a good friend and not as if I was an old fool hoocked on the early seventy. Ho! no I won't try your tight slipery corner with weight on the front wheel, my dental work ( including my gold tooth like in the early 70 ) cost to much money.

GUy

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Like it or not if you try making a very tight turn on a slippery surface, or want more precise control in more difficult conditions, the increased front wheel grip provided by more modern machine lay out, will work far better than the older style bike set up, which was designed to work with rear tyres which didnt grip very well.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 pm

I can confirm that Chris does actually ride trials,though I have never seen him finish one.I may be alone,though in not having front wheel grip problems on any of my bikes which range from a 1950 rigid AJS to my "newest" bike a 1979 Ty175 with the Serow engine in it.They all have perished or worn or both front tyres.Strangely enough the rear tyres are all new/nearly new IRC's.The trials I rode back in the mid eighties were far harder than the stuff we do now,but the TY250R I had was never wanting - it was my ability/confidence that let it down...
PS, Guy - my Majesty project is on hold at the moment as I'm concentrating on riding trials for a while,rather than building bikes.Plus going on holiday. :wink:

yamaha man
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby yamaha man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 pm

So what your saying is i should put a oko flat side 28mm carby, lower the foot pegs an inch and about the same forward and clean out the exhaust. Then get riding.

Will this allow me to have a real crack at clubman.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:01 am

OKO Aus should be able to help with a TY carb kit, with remote pilot adjuster and air intake hose adapter. Moving the footrests is a good idea, and I would suggest steepening the head angle by 2 degrees at the same time.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:35 am

yamaha man wrote:So what your saying is i should put a oko flat side 28mm carby, lower the foot pegs an inch and about the same forward and clean out the exhaust. Then get riding.

Will this allow me to have a real crack at clubman.

The pegs need to go down and back - not forwards.I'd sort the carb and do the exhaust if it feels bunged up.Other than a normal full service,plug,gearbox oil and air filter etc - I'd just get on with enjoying it.Frame and suspension mods can be done in the future if and when you feel the bike is holding you back.Ty's were built to work and and enjoy, which is why they were/are so popular.

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:12 am

How is it that whenever I follow the comments in any topic on this website the pen name FM350 keeps coming up and winding people up.
I know who he is and he seems to think he is an expert on every trials related subject.
He just has an uncanny knack of getting peoples backs up, maybe he should stick to his own countries website and annoy his fellow countrymen but somehow I don't think he will.
TS200

Pre 65 Classic bikes

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:16 am

Twinshock200 wrote:How is it that whenever I follow the comments in any topic on this website the pen name FM350 keeps coming up and winding people up.
I know who he is and he seems to think he is an expert on every trials related subject.
He just has an uncanny knack of getting peoples backs up, maybe he should stick to his own countries website and annoy his fellow countrymen but somehow I don't think he will.
TS200

I have heard that FM350 has been suspended from posting on Trials Central forums

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Technical help”