ty 250 improvements

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ty 250 improvements

Postby whitehillbilly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:41 pm

How would we ever know David ???? someone on his laptop a million miles away, as we can all read anything that out there. At least we can see photos of you at Trials.

whitehillbilly
whitehillbilly
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 pm

David Lahey wrote:FM350, have you ever ridden a trials bike in a trials section?

I have been riding since the early 70s, and always find first hand experience counts for quite a lot. On very easy sections though I wouldnt expect old style weight distribution, and steering geometry are going to make much difference though. Updates to these areas do make a great deal of difference when riding sections intended for modern bikes though, and tend to make older bikes easier and more fun to ride.
FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Guy53 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Maybe the fact that I never go to a trial comp organise by a modern bike association ( even if they advertise that TS are welcome ) make me think differently from you FM. I am cheering for every organiser that promote non-stop trial, probably because that's the way I learned or because I simply like it when my fellow riders look and talk to me as if I was a good friend and not as if I was an old fool hoocked on the early seventy. Ho! no I won't try your tight slipery corner with weight on the front wheel, my dental work ( including my gold tooth like in the early 70 ) cost to much money.

GUy
Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Like it or not if you try making a very tight turn on a slippery surface, or want more precise control in more difficult conditions, the increased front wheel grip provided by more modern machine lay out, will work far better than the older style bike set up, which was designed to work with rear tyres which didnt grip very well.
FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 pm

I can confirm that Chris does actually ride trials,though I have never seen him finish one.I may be alone,though in not having front wheel grip problems on any of my bikes which range from a 1950 rigid AJS to my "newest" bike a 1979 Ty175 with the Serow engine in it.They all have perished or worn or both front tyres.Strangely enough the rear tyres are all new/nearly new IRC's.The trials I rode back in the mid eighties were far harder than the stuff we do now,but the TY250R I had was never wanting - it was my ability/confidence that let it down...
PS, Guy - my Majesty project is on hold at the moment as I'm concentrating on riding trials for a while,rather than building bikes.Plus going on holiday. :wink:
Jon V8
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby yamaha man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 pm

So what your saying is i should put a oko flat side 28mm carby, lower the foot pegs an inch and about the same forward and clean out the exhaust. Then get riding.

Will this allow me to have a real crack at clubman.
yamaha man
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 am

OKO Aus should be able to help with a TY carb kit, with remote pilot adjuster and air intake hose adapter. Moving the footrests is a good idea, and I would suggest steepening the head angle by 2 degrees at the same time.
FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 am

yamaha man wrote:So what your saying is i should put a oko flat side 28mm carby, lower the foot pegs an inch and about the same forward and clean out the exhaust. Then get riding.

Will this allow me to have a real crack at clubman.

The pegs need to go down and back - not forwards.I'd sort the carb and do the exhaust if it feels bunged up.Other than a normal full service,plug,gearbox oil and air filter etc - I'd just get on with enjoying it.Frame and suspension mods can be done in the future if and when you feel the bike is holding you back.Ty's were built to work and and enjoy, which is why they were/are so popular.
Jon V8
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Twinshock200 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:12 am

How is it that whenever I follow the comments in any topic on this website the pen name FM350 keeps coming up and winding people up.
I know who he is and he seems to think he is an expert on every trials related subject.
He just has an uncanny knack of getting peoples backs up, maybe he should stick to his own countries website and annoy his fellow countrymen but somehow I don't think he will.
TS200
Twinshock200
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby David Lahey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:16 am

Twinshock200 wrote:How is it that whenever I follow the comments in any topic on this website the pen name FM350 keeps coming up and winding people up.
I know who he is and he seems to think he is an expert on every trials related subject.
He just has an uncanny knack of getting peoples backs up, maybe he should stick to his own countries website and annoy his fellow countrymen but somehow I don't think he will.
TS200

I have heard that FM350 has been suspended from posting on Trials Central forums
relax, nothing is under control
David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:39 pm

yamaha man wrote:Hi I have just purchased a 1984 ty250 trials bike as a project then to enter in clubman.

I am looking to do some improvements and was wondering about what sort of improvements are doable to improve the bike.

I have heard about moving foot pegs, increasing rear shock length, some throttle mods to change it to a 1/4 throttle along with flywheel mods and big boring with a dt piston.

Are these mods good or bad and what are the measurements if they work well.

Also any other modifications you can think of would be appreciated.

Is the question the OP asked, and I have tried to answer based on my own first hand personal experience. Modifications to a bike are certainly an area where everyone has a view, and clearly those who are happy to ride original bikes in standard form are going to have opinions which differ greatly from those who feel the stock bike is lacking and might benefit from alterations.
FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby brownie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:01 pm

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/Mods.htm

I know this is for a TY350 but they are mostly the same apart from the top end I think
When I had a TY250 mono I moved the pegs down as explained in the link but I didn't make the spacers I just cut and slid the brackets down as low as possible from memory about 40mm and welded them back on. The front of the pegs from memory ended up only about 15mm forward, I also put wider pegs on at the same time so I think the back of the pegs were as far back as the originals. It was a great improvement over the original set up comfort wise.
Also when I bought the bike it had a OKO 28mm flatslide on it that I could never get to run right, even with a bucket full of jets, put the original TK on it and it ran perfect
brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Some useful info on that link, this was particularly interesting:

"NOTE: Some folks claim that the front end of the TY-350 is too light. If you lower the foot pegs, you might want to consider moving them forward as well. Moving the pegs forward 1" will transfer more of your body weight on to the front wheel. The modification may also be easier because you might not have to make a spacer, or at least the spacer will be smaller. I rode a TY250 in Oklahoma where the guy had just cut the peg brackets off the frame and then slid them down the frame tube to where he wanted them and rewelded them back on the frame. I don't know how far forward this places the pegs. When I rode that bike, all I noticed was how much easier the bike was to balance and how stable it felt, so I was convinced that lowering the pegs was the hot ticket. If I was to do it again I might consider moving the pegs forward."
FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby trialsmutha » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 pm

David Lahey wrote:
Twinshock200 wrote:How is it that whenever I follow the comments in any topic on this website the pen name FM350 keeps coming up and winding people up.
TS200

I have heard that FM350 has been suspended from posting on Trials Central forums

Why have you been suspended from posting on Trials Central FM350 ?????
"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"
trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby sherpa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Maybe we should run a poll as to why!!!
sherpa
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby FM350 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:06 pm

sherpa wrote:Maybe we should run a poll as to why!!!

David Lahey wrote:
TS200

David I wonder why you dont provide some accurate info to assist the OP of this thread?
FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jon V8 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Chris, its a bit rich of you to accuse David of not being helpful on this thread when you have clearly wound up several other posters.(You only need to look around on this forum or TC to see how much knowledge and help David contributes) Perhaps if you answered the questions you have been asked DIRECTLY and tried to accept other peoples different views you would get a more sympathetic hearing.
I think most riders would agree that a TY mono in bog standard form is still a VERY capable bike - more so than most people who ride them.You are the one always banging on about keeping the cost of trials down,frame mods and the like are going to cost real money as few people have the kit or skills to carry out mods at that level.For a rider starting out just having the bike in fresh standard condition is more than good enough.
Jon V8
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby David Lahey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 pm

FM350 wrote:
sherpa wrote:Maybe we should run a poll as to why!!!

David Lahey wrote:
TS200

David I wonder why you dont provide some accurate info to assist the OP of this thread?

I don't have any more info - what are you on about now?
relax, nothing is under control
David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby FM350 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Jon V8 wrote:Chris, its a bit rich of you to accuse David of not being helpful on this thread when you have clearly wound up several other posters.(You only need to look around on this forum or TC to see how much knowledge and help David contributes) Perhaps if you answered the questions you have been asked DIRECTLY and tried to accept other peoples different views you would get a more sympathetic hearing.
I think most riders would agree that a TY mono in bog standard form is still a VERY capable bike - more so than most people who ride them.You are the one always banging on about keeping the cost of trials down,frame mods and the like are going to cost real money as few people have the kit or skills to carry out mods at that level.For a rider starting out just having the bike in fresh standard condition is more than good enough.

Not sure that info which simply isnt accurate is helpful to anyone Jon? As to keeping the cost of trials down, its an awful lot less money to bolt a pair of shocks onto an old TY mono (with worn out OE rear suspension), than building a £15k Brit powered twin-shock of the type used in your clubs P65 class!

As to frame mods costing real money, thats relative when you consider whats outlined here: http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/Mods.htm most of which seem to be be very easy to do, and even if someone is being paid to do the work shouldnt be that costly to do.
FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby trialsmutha » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:22 pm

FM350 WHY WERE YOU SUSPENDED FROM POSTING ON TRIALS CENTRAL FORUMS ??????????
"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"
trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant

Previous

Return to Technical help