ty 250 improvements

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: ty 250 improvements

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:39 pm

yamaha man wrote:Hi I have just purchased a 1984 ty250 trials bike as a project then to enter in clubman.

I am looking to do some improvements and was wondering about what sort of improvements are doable to improve the bike.

I have heard about moving foot pegs, increasing rear shock length, some throttle mods to change it to a 1/4 throttle along with flywheel mods and big boring with a dt piston.

Are these mods good or bad and what are the measurements if they work well.

Also any other modifications you can think of would be appreciated.

Is the question the OP asked, and I have tried to answer based on my own first hand personal experience. Modifications to a bike are certainly an area where everyone has a view, and clearly those who are happy to ride original bikes in standard form are going to have opinions which differ greatly from those who feel the stock bike is lacking and might benefit from alterations.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 pm

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/Mods.htm

I know this is for a TY350 but they are mostly the same apart from the top end I think
When I had a TY250 mono I moved the pegs down as explained in the link but I didn't make the spacers I just cut and slid the brackets down as low as possible from memory about 40mm and welded them back on. The front of the pegs from memory ended up only about 15mm forward, I also put wider pegs on at the same time so I think the back of the pegs were as far back as the originals. It was a great improvement over the original set up comfort wise.
Also when I bought the bike it had a OKO 28mm flatslide on it that I could never get to run right, even with a bucket full of jets, put the original TK on it and it ran perfect

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Some useful info on that link, this was particularly interesting:

"NOTE: Some folks claim that the front end of the TY-350 is too light. If you lower the foot pegs, you might want to consider moving them forward as well. Moving the pegs forward 1" will transfer more of your body weight on to the front wheel. The modification may also be easier because you might not have to make a spacer, or at least the spacer will be smaller. I rode a TY250 in Oklahoma where the guy had just cut the peg brackets off the frame and then slid them down the frame tube to where he wanted them and rewelded them back on the frame. I don't know how far forward this places the pegs. When I rode that bike, all I noticed was how much easier the bike was to balance and how stable it felt, so I was convinced that lowering the pegs was the hot ticket. If I was to do it again I might consider moving the pegs forward."

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Postby trialsmutha » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 pm

David Lahey wrote:
Twinshock200 wrote:How is it that whenever I follow the comments in any topic on this website the pen name FM350 keeps coming up and winding people up.
I know who he is and he seems to think he is an expert on every trials related subject.
He just has an uncanny knack of getting peoples backs up, maybe he should stick to his own countries website and annoy his fellow countrymen but somehow I don't think he will.
TS200

I have heard that FM350 has been suspended from posting on Trials Central forums

Why have you been suspended from posting on Trials Central FM350 ?????

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

sherpa
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gasgas/sherpa
Club: pacific park

Postby sherpa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm

Maybe we should run a poll as to why!!!

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:06 pm

sherpa wrote:Maybe we should run a poll as to why!!!

David Lahey wrote:
Twinshock200 wrote:How is it that whenever I follow the comments in any topic on this website the pen name FM350 keeps coming up and winding people up.
I know who he is and he seems to think he is an expert on every trials related subject.
He just has an uncanny knack of getting peoples backs up, maybe he should stick to his own countries website and annoy his fellow countrymen but somehow I don't think he will.
TS200

I have heard that FM350 has been suspended from posting on Trials Central forums

David I wonder why you dont provide some accurate info to assist the OP of this thread?

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Chris, its a bit rich of you to accuse David of not being helpful on this thread when you have clearly wound up several other posters.(You only need to look around on this forum or TC to see how much knowledge and help David contributes) Perhaps if you answered the questions you have been asked DIRECTLY and tried to accept other peoples different views you would get a more sympathetic hearing.
I think most riders would agree that a TY mono in bog standard form is still a VERY capable bike - more so than most people who ride them.You are the one always banging on about keeping the cost of trials down,frame mods and the like are going to cost real money as few people have the kit or skills to carry out mods at that level.For a rider starting out just having the bike in fresh standard condition is more than good enough.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm

FM350 wrote:
sherpa wrote:Maybe we should run a poll as to why!!!

David Lahey wrote:
TS200

David I wonder why you dont provide some accurate info to assist the OP of this thread?

I don't have any more info - what are you on about now?

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Jon V8 wrote:Chris, its a bit rich of you to accuse David of not being helpful on this thread when you have clearly wound up several other posters.(You only need to look around on this forum or TC to see how much knowledge and help David contributes) Perhaps if you answered the questions you have been asked DIRECTLY and tried to accept other peoples different views you would get a more sympathetic hearing.
I think most riders would agree that a TY mono in bog standard form is still a VERY capable bike - more so than most people who ride them.You are the one always banging on about keeping the cost of trials down,frame mods and the like are going to cost real money as few people have the kit or skills to carry out mods at that level.For a rider starting out just having the bike in fresh standard condition is more than good enough.

Not sure that info which simply isnt accurate is helpful to anyone Jon? As to keeping the cost of trials down, its an awful lot less money to bolt a pair of shocks onto an old TY mono (with worn out OE rear suspension), than building a £15k Brit powered twin-shock of the type used in your clubs P65 class!

As to frame mods costing real money, thats relative when you consider whats outlined here: http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/Mods.htm most of which seem to be be very easy to do, and even if someone is being paid to do the work shouldnt be that costly to do.

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Postby trialsmutha » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 pm

FM350 WHY WERE YOU SUSPENDED FROM POSTING ON TRIALS CENTRAL FORUMS ??????????

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

Return to “Technical help”